Day 1 – Introduction
Hi everyone! We are starting the Mental Health Awareness Week Campaign! We have a couple of things to announce:
- Get a Mental Health Awareness twibbon to show your support! Add the green twibbon to your facebook or twitter profile pic at: https://twibbon.com/Support/mental-health-awareness-week-5
- Tune in for posts everyday about mental health!
- Take part in our questionnaire about mental health (to be posted)! Don’t worry, it’s voluntary and anonymous.
- Please help spread awareness of the importance of mental well-being by sharing EMSA posts and links!
- Don’t forget to hashtag! #mentalhealth #MHAW2017 #EMSA #bluespirit
To introduce you to the topic, we would first like to answer the question – what is mental health?
Mental health is a broad topic and very complicated. There are a lot of factors to take into account when talking about the psychological well-being of humans. This is because the human condition is one of the most complicated and multi-faceted beings in existence.
One definition of mental health is “a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community”. – World Health Organization
Basically, mental health and physical health together make up our lives. They determine who we are as individuals. Some people only focus on the physical aspect of health, when really the mental one is just as important. Especially since they are reliant on each other – when one deteriorates, so does the other and vice versa. They determine the quality of our life. This is so important to talk about mental health openly and without stigma. It is a part of each of us and we have to take care of it just like we do with our physical health.